Product Management for Health and Nutrition
Amidst fast-moving social trends driving consumer demands, placing a premium on health and nutrition, and increasing competition among modern retail businesses, the Company is challenged to offer quality products, poised as the best health option for consumers —in order to achieve the highest customer satisfaction.
CP ALL Plc. and its Subsidiaries (“the Company”) is committed to meeting customer demands, offer quality products, and providing convenience and lighting up smiles. Today’s global “mega trend” which places higher demands for health-related products and services is in line with increasing domestic demands for health products in Thailand. This reflects a shift for this product group, which was considered a niche market but now is becoming a mainstream product category. This presents an opportunity and a challenge for the Company in promoting nutrition in Thailand through the development and delivery of goods that have good nutritional value. This determination has been reflected through our policy to offer products that are packed with good nutritional value, safe for consumption, and traceable. The testing and selection of raw materials will also have to pass through a safety and quality inspection. The production process needs to be efficient, and meet international hygiene standards. These efforts are coupled with communication and operations guided by these responsibilities. It is the Company’s commitment to deliver quality products and support good health for customers across the country.
In order to offer nutritious products to consumers as well as promoting the correct understanding and ensuring accessibility to quality food and nutrition, CPALL has set the guideline as follows:
- Fresh and Hygiene Food: The Company focuses on the production and distribution of hygiene fresh food products that comply with law, rules and regulations, and standards of Thailand and trading partners with higher standards.
- Ready to Eat Food and Ready to Drink: Products contains essential nutrients and/or natural products and must strictly complied with the laws, regulations, and standards of Thailand or the countries in which the Company operates or invest in. We also take into account customer’s requirements that do not contradict the laws and regulations of the specific country. Nevertheless, the essential energy and nutrients needed for the body and the amount suitable for consumption in each meal will be designed.
Data Access and Marketing Communication
- Product label: Product label must provide information on ingredients and usage and storage instructions in order for consumers to acknowledge nutrition facts and be aware of ingredient that may cause allergic reaction, and to preserve the product properly.
- Provide accurate information on healthy diet and wellbeing by creating awareness using the Company’s various communication channels such as print and online media, as well as displaying nutritional information and product description on product labels.
- Promote good health by supporting health-related activities (mind, body, and spirit).
As a leader in modern retail business, we have strived to work with business partners to drive forward health and nutrition products. This was done through developing product packaging plans, sharing of knowledge, and solicitation of quality suggestions from related agencies. This has yielded a wide variety of health products, such as “7-fresh” ready-to-eat fresh fruits, “Ezy GO” ready-to-eat meals, and our business partners’ ready-to-eat foods (egg products and chicken breast) under the name “CP Balance”. The Company has set a target to increase the proportion of health products and services to 10% of the Company’s total new products, coupled with other health promotion projects. The Company’s direction to meet the health demands of Thai people is a driving force for the Company to conduct various projects, such as:
As a leader in modern retail business, we have strived to work with business partners to drive forward health and nutrition products. This was done through developing product packaging plans, sharing of knowledge, and solicitation of quality suggestions from related agencies. This has yielded a wide variety of health products, such as “7-fresh” ready-to-eat fresh fruits, “Ezy GO” ready-to-eat meals, and our business partners’ ready-to-eat foods (egg products and chicken
breast) under the name “CP Balance”. The Company has set a target to increase the proportion of health products and services to 10% of the Company’s total new products, coupled with other health promotion projects. The Company’s direction to meet the health demands of Thai people is a driving force for the Company to conduct various projects, such as:
In addition, the Company has also initiated the Health Fresh Food project to promote consumers’ access to healthy food by installing product display shelves dedicated for alternative health menu items. These include fresh salads and products that have received healthy alternative certification, among others. This is complemented by providing health information through QR Code, to ensure that customers have sufficient important information in making their purchase decisions. In 2017, piloting the Healthy Fresh Food project in 3 locations (Samitivej Hospital branch, Lumpini Park Waterside branch, and Samantha building branch Sukhumvit 33) achieved a 10% growth in sales. The Company has plans to expand its operation scope, both in terms of the number of menu items and the coverage of branch stores.
In addition, the Company is committed to developing products for health and nutrition. CPALL has cooperated with government and educational sector.
Cooked rice with nutrients. To the elderly who lose the teeth Development of Nutritious Rice Boiled for Elderly
Request number : 1703001334
Research Unit : CP Food Lab Co., Ltd.
Collaborative agencies : The Center for Innovation and Nutrition Reference. Institute of Nutrition Mahidol University
Boiled rice is selected to improve the future of the elderly population. Elderly people often have dental problems that can not chew foods which are hard and sticky. Especially food as, vegetables, grains and meat, resulting in incomplete nutrients. And increase the risk of chronic non-communicable disease. Therefore, the development of cooked rice products with texture suitable for the elderly who lose their teeth by using vegetables and meat pieces to form with special process. It contains essential nutrients such as fiber, vitamin B6, vitamin B12 and folate. It is interesting that the texture of the food pieces in this product is designed to ease the chewing for older adults, according to the number of missing teeth, the loss of some teeth, but more than 20 teeth, the loss of many teeth until the teeth are less than 20 teeth and teeth and use only gum. In addition, the finished product is processed by water spray retort to extend the shelf life at room temperature longer.
Technology / Innovation
Porridge with 5 nutrients and supplements. Suitable for the elderly with loss of teeth in all 3 groups. The innovation of the food pieces is stable and stable after heat treatment with sterilizer and water spray retort to extend the shelf life of the product.
- The product contains 5 nutrients and textures suitable for the elderly in the 3 groups are the loss of teeth after a few teeth, but more than 20 teeth, the loss of many teeth to 20 teeth and less. Group with no teeth use only gum.
- Low-fat, low-sodium and low-cholesterol foods. The nutrients that the elderly want, such as fiber, vitamin B6, vitamin B12 and folate.
- The food pieces in porridge products are resistant to sterilization by water spray retort.
The development of natural preservatives to extend the life of bakery products. Development of Natural Preservative for Extend Shelf Life of Bakery Products. Research Institute: CPRAM Co., Ltd
Presently, various kinds of pastries, breads or bakery products. It is very popular with consumers. The important thing that manufacturers must take into account is the quality of the product. And the safety of consumers, where the quality of the product may be divided as physical qualities include size, shape, weight and net weight. Must meet the standards and microbial quality. This refers to the type and quantity of microorganisms, including bacteria, molds, yeasts, coliforms or other pathogenic microorganisms mixed in the product. This affects the deterioration of products that can bring harm to consumers. So many manufacturers are used. A variety of species such as calcium, propionate, or sodium benzoate to break down the growth of microorganisms and extend the shelf life of the product and it can be sold for a long time. However, preservatives added to a large amount of food may cause acute poisoning and may cause gastrointestinal irritation. So the company, which manufactures bread products or bakery types. With commitment to produce clean, safefood for consumers. The idea is to use natural preservatives. The use of biopreservative to replace the synthetic preservatives, which will help to reduce the risk to health of consumers and create confidence in the safety of products to consumers.
Technology / Innovation
This technology has focused on the study of fungal species that are the main cause of contamination in the product. Then it was found that the natural microorganisms that are widely used in the food industry have the ability to effectively inhibit the growth of fungi. It focuses on non-pathogenic microorganisms and causes side effects that can harm consumers.
- Biopreservative substances, The results of the study can be used to substitute synthetic preservatives in bakery products effectively.
- Biopreservative substances that are non-toxic and harmful to consumers.
- Biopreservative substances, This can help extend the life of bakery products longer and reduces the cost of production.
Development of healthy Thai desserts from modified starch to reduce starch digestibility. Development of Healthy Thai Desserts from Slow Digestible Modified Starches
Research Unit : CP Food Lab Co., Ltd.
Collaborative agencies : The Center for Innovation and Nutrition Reference. Institute of Nutrition Mahidol University And food technology. Mahidol University Kanchanaburi Campus
Currently, Thai desserts are popular in various types of food such as dessert, snack, dessert, sweets, candy, etc.Thai desserts are another group of consumer products. However, the main ingredients of Thai desserts are rice flour, sugar and coconut milk. Excessive consumption may be a cause of chronic non-communicable diseases, including those with diabetes,heart disease, obesity, and those who want to control weight and consumers who love health. So CP Food Lab Co., Ltd. It has cooperated with Mahidol University to research and develop Thai instant dessert from modified starch. Low glycemic index Since food products do not depend on only one main ingredient that affects the glycemic index, it also results from other ingredients, especially sugar and coconut milk, which are important ingredients in Thai dessert products. Modified as the main raw material. Cooked by heat until ready to eat
Technology / Innovation
Modification of starch to low glycemic index. The slow digestion together with the ratio of coconut milk from the high saturated fat substitutes to conventional coconut milk and sugar substitute instead of sugar. It does not provide energy in the product to get a healthy product.
- Thai dessert products with low glycemic index As an alternative to diabetic patients with heart disease, obesity can be eaten.
- It is an alternative product for those who want to control weight and consumers who love health.
- It is a prototype product to expand on other health products.