Occupational Health and Safety
CP ALL Plc. And Subsidiaries (“the Company”) pride in part of an attempt to light up smiles among our employees, whom we regard as family, Is that the organization has an effective occupational health And good safety The company therefore providing importance to health promotion and ensure their good health, and elevate standards on safety, occupational health, and environment. With the goal of ensuring the safety of our operators, customers, and those concerned in the activities and operations of the Company—as there is no replacement or compensation commensurate to these unexpected losses.
The Company primarily adheres to legal compliance with equal treatment for all stakeholders, whether they be customers, contractors, sub-contractors, partners, or the community. The Company has always cherished and takes this further by developing and adapting in practice related international standards.
A company is an enterprise mainly operates by its human capital, supported by various machines and technologies to carry out the numerous business activities. Such reliance on human capital generate a challenge for the Company, one which the Company willingly embrace, in creating safeties and quality of life measures for all of its personnel as well as contractors.
The Company is a big organization with various business operations and have to effectively manage the occupational health, safety and working environment as well as improving the quality of life of its personnel and related persons.
Consequently, the Company has amended the guideline on how to manage and operate on an international standard for occupational health, safety and good working environment as well as equal treatments to all related personnel. Along with the aforesaid, how the Company should operate its business, initiate activities, plans, appropriate indicators for business types or context and specific risks of each business. These are all to bolster the effectiveness in the areas of safety, occupational health, and amelioration of quality of life, instill the attitudes, viewpoints and awareness for safety and management of good working environment. The company place its main aim at ensuring 0 incidents/year of accidents and critical vehicle-related accidents resulting to loss to life
Continuous Improvements to lift the Occupational Health and Safety to be on par with International Standards
The policies for safety, occupational health and the working environment announced by the Company in 2017, specified for the scopes of operation and promotes the safety, occupational health and the working environment, as per the supply chain image. Such crucial management process was closely monitored and resulted in various activities and in 2017, the Company implemented the Safety Health Environmental Standard (SHE Standard) which was originally developed in 2016. However, the Company is of the view that the structures of the board of directors and board committees of the previous year still have potential to develop to better reflect the various operations of the Company.
In 2018, the Company has improved the structures of the board committees which are responsible for monitoring the compliance of policies for safety, occupational health and the work environment by appointing and specifying roles of the Board of Directors and Board Committees by areas and characteristics of each operation, as portrayed on the diagram.
The aforementioned Board of Directors and the Board Committee were officially appointed in August 2018 and there were policies and goals specified to be in line with the context and characteristics of the operation of each department, which are all under the supervision of responsible committee. Such committee supervised all 100% of the employees’ as well as contractors who are included in the value chain.
Integration of Occupational Health and Work Safety is Part of Business Operation
- The Company has set the goals and guidelines in Occupational health and Safety as part of normal business operations in accordance to their types within the Company’s group.
- The supervision of the operation procedures and care for work environment of each area to comply with the law such as the intensity of dangerous chemical, dust and brightness of the work area etc.
To initiated sustainable safety
- The Company has initiated the project of “Safety Culture” from employees at all levels, supplier and stakeholder reducing risky behaviors which may result in accidents by reducing, refraining and renouncing and care of OHS to their colleagues
- Defensive driving trainings are offered as part of a curriculum developing driving skills, coupled with a road safety driving test.
- Safety promotion activities are conducted prior to long holidays to promote good driving practices among employees.
Health & employees’ well-being
Flexible Work Time
The Company is committed to support employees’ success in work and personal life through Work Life Balance. In this connection, the Company has established the Flexible Time Policy to provide an option for employees to choose to use appropriately in line with their duties and responsibilities and diverse way of life.
Employees may select different working hours every 6 months as follows:
1st time period: 08.00 – 17.30
2nd time period: 08.30 – 18.00
3rd time period: 09.00 – 18.30
4th time period: 09.30 – 19.00
This program was officially effective from October 2018 and with 819 out of 3,779 office-based employees or 21% joining such project.
Flexible Work Place
The Company is committed to support employees’ success in work and personal life through Work Life Balance. To lower the burden in transportation costs and time of employees and to be the happy work team, the Company has tested “Work from Any Where” (part of the Flexible Work Arrangement Project) with departments that have readiness and willingness for their employees to try working from other locations, including their home and residence, not more than 1 day a week and this must not adversely affect their work. This trial will evaluate the readiness in various aspects including communication between heads and employees, work systems and equipment, and possible impacts before expanding the project throughout the organization.in which it is currently in the second trial period. This project covered 1,704 out of 2,999 employees and the results of the first trial period indicated that 89% of such employees are satisfied with the project so the Company intended to continue with the program officially.
In order to reduce the burden of expenses and traveling time of employees To be a team that works happily The company therefore tried to work in the form of “Smart Office” (part of the Flexible Work Arrangement Program) together with the department that is ready and voluntary to allow employees in their own departments to try to work from home by agreeing to join. Between supervisors and subordinates including the restructuring of the department that participated in the new project as the Time Sharing area
Childcare facilities or contributions
- The area of the “Breastfeeding corners” encourages the workplace to provide factors that allow employees to continue breastfeeding.
Courses for children
- The Thai Music and Dance Program in the summer for the children of employees in the Marketing Department and the Charoen Pokphand Group allows children to learn about Thai culture in music and dance and helps employees with childcare, reducing their worries that there is no one to take care of their children during school break. The program also provides opportunities for children to show their abilities at important events of the Charoen Pokphand Group and CP ALL Group.
- CPRAM Wisdom Junior is a dharma camp for juniors where children learn about dharma from various activities such as walking meditation, praying, morning temple duties, art activities, and positioning buttons with concentration into pictures. The children also paint bags with love and care which is given to seniors at Baan Bang Khae (Bang Khae Home for Older Persons).
The Company organizes training on stress management for employees, with courses for employees at different levels.
Fostering Consciousness, Concentration and Wisdom for Executives with Wisdom Exploration Executives at the department level and higher and Store Business Partners join in activities including sitting meditation, walking meditation, dharma yoga and learning about Buddha’s teachings. The aim is for participants to experience calmness, improve concentration in work, and apply the teachings in managing their team with happiness.
Improving Consciousness for Greater Work Effectiveness
As work nowadays requires speed, accuracy and effectiveness in attaining set goals, participants need to have consciousness to act as a guide while working, concentration, and understanding of emotions and influences, in order to perform their duties effectively with good mental health. Learning and practicing the use of consciousness is therefore very important for employees to be able to live happily and attain success in both personal life and work. It also promotes good mental health and living happily every day.
Suitable posture according to ergonomics is essential in work. Work posture both outside and inside the workplace such as working at the computer or lifting objects that has poor ergonomics might cause aches and pain at specific body areas, muscular system diseases, trigger finger, or locking bones if the inappropriate posture is repeated daily. In addition, it might affect mental health causing boredom and stress which may lead to lower productivity and possible work-related accidents. Chronic health conditions and insufficient rest may also result in loss of life or company assets. Therefore, ergonomic-related problems need to be solved or prevented to avoid the abovementioned possibilities.
In 2018, the Company procured office equipment which would supports the work postures such as ergonomics office chair to reduce risks of sickness and fatigued from sitting or computers usage in improper postures. This is inclusive of the utilization of automatic systems which would make the work of practitioners more convenient and reduce risks of injuries from improper work postures or repeated postures, as well as development of tools, equipment and work stations which would eradicate improper postures such as bending down, bending or moving of excessive weight. The distribution center measured the strength of the muscles prior to work and CPRAM’s factories have introduced the One Point Lesson which included lessons in the know-how and proper postures to work safely, specifically the lessons in proper postures for each type of work at CPRAM’s factories in Chonburi, Lat Krabang and Lat Lum Kaeo, which the Company shall further expand to include every operational area. The Company is currently in the process of collecting feedbacks/satisfactions of the aforementioned activities so that they could be utilized in further development in efficiency. The office departments have also intimated a project to prevent office syndromes by educating employees and assessing preliminary ergonomics via the body discomfort and ROSA assessment to reduce sickness and losses.
- Fitness facilities or contributions to external fitness programs
This program was initiated to provide convenience to the Company’s employees, enabling them to exercise every day, with emphasis on employees exercising together using standard and clean exercise equipments appropriate for all ages and genders so that employees can work effectively and be free from illness. The program also promotes good physical and mental health and interest and intent to exercise regularly among employees
- Activities for Health project ‘FIT & FIRM TO SLIM’
Inactive lifestyle, lack of physical activity, family history of obesity, old age and smoking cause overweight, which has both short-term and long-term impacts. Short-term impacts include reduced activeness and fitness, worry about body figure and loss of pride in body figure. Long-term physical impacts include risk of various diseases such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes type 2, high blood pressure, gallstones, arthritis and high cholesterol.
The 1000 Attendance (Zero Sick Leave) (1-Team, 0-Zero Accident, 0-Zero Sick leave, 0-Zero Absence) Policy focuses on no sick leave with measures to prevent sickness and recommendations on how to live a healthy life to be able to work normally and have good physical and mental health. In this regard, the Safety Department has established the FIT & FIRM TO SLIM Program to invite employees interested in health and exercise to voluntarily join the activity in order to reduce medical expenses, lower employee sick leave statistics and fulfill the policy.
- Initial weighing of employees to find BMI
- Divide employees into groups by BMI level. In order to motivate more competition in weight loss, groups of 3-4 employees are formed and their weights are added. Their weight is calculated as a percentage of the group. The program started with 47 members and 16 groups. (Weight below standard = 2 groups, Overweight level 1 = 5 groups, Overweight level 2 = 7 groups, Overweight level 3 = 2 groups)
- Organize training on nutrition for employees with BMI above the standard by the Company doctor. (Learn how to calculate calories for each type of food, how to calculate desired target weight, and actions in daily life that help with weight loss)
- Promote exercise to achieve the target. (Provide equipment for exercise after work and during working hours for all employees as requested by the participants. Provide equipment that is convenient and appropriate for the workplace such as dumbbells, jump ropes, sit-up equipment, SIT FIT equipment, push up bars, hand grips, yoga mats, and twist boards.
- Organize competition for health. The working group weighs the employees who have joined the program every Friday. (In case of weight increase, fine of 1 Baht per 100 grams; weight loss, fine of 1 Baht per 100 grams; the group with the highest percentage in weight loss receives a prize)
- The Exercise for Office Staff project was created as part of employee benefits, offered to support employee’s health and well-being. Exercise activities are organized daily within office vicinities, offering a variety of options based on employee’s interests, such as Hatha-Yoga, Zumba, and Piloxing.
Occupational Health and Safety Performance
Inspection of Work Environment
The Company monitors and inspects the quality of the work environment according to legal standards in order to prevent pollution or risk factors that may affect the health of employees and surrounding communities and make immediate improvements. Results of the inspection of the work environment of the distributions centers of CP ALL Public Company Limited and CPRAM Company Limited are comprehensive measurements of heat, light intensity, noise, Total Suspended Particulate (TSP), waste water quality
Monitoring work environment
The monitoring of TSP according to Notification of The National Environmental Board No.24, B.E.2547 (2004): The Ambient Air Quality Standard
Personal Total Suspended Particulate (TSP) monitoring according to Occupational Safety and Health Administration; OSHA
Example of Illumination measurement activities according to Notification of Ministry of Labor (2017) Administration and Management of employee health, safety, and workplace environment concerning heat, light, and noise condition
Example of noise measurement activities according to Notification of Ministry of Labor (2017) Administration and Management of employee health, safety, and workplace environment concerning heat, light, and noise condition